Monday, November 30, 2009

Almost!!

I thought I would leave you in suspense before telling you how I got on last week. Did I meet my target? As you must have gathered from the title of this post - almost.

I treated Thursday as if writing was my full time profession. I got up at 8:00 (the beauty of a few more hours in bed), got myself sorted and began writing at 9:00. By 10:00 I had knocked out 1,000 words. It felt good, really good in fact. I paused for a cup of tea and walked the dog and by 10:30 I was back at my desk. The progress in this section was a little slower. I found my mind wondering a little bit more and myself day-dreaming a bit. Still by 12:30 I had produced another 1,600 words. Gave myself another half hour break before knocking out another 300 words. I then met my wife for lunch.

I was full of optimism, the mornings session had produced 2,900 words. I was going to meet the 4,000 word target without a problem. Then the strangest thing happened. I came back from lunch and sat at my desk and tried to write. I just couldn't do it. I didn't have writer's block as I knew what I wanted to write but my brain just wouldn't let me proceed. I found myself writing a sentence, deleting it and then wording it differently, then doing the same thing for almost an hour. I realised then, that my brain was saturated. It had enough and just simply didn't want to write anymore.

I decided to call it a day. Slightly disappointed that I didn't reach my 100,000 target I vowed to complete it before 1st December - the weekend is family time so this left Friday and Monday. On Friday I did manage to sneek in another 400 words.

So here I am Monday morning, I aim to get the 700 words written today just to meet that landmark.

My new target is to get the first draft finished before Christmas. I am not kidding myself, I know how hectic life is going to be in the coming weeks but still, this is my aim. I have six chapters left. On average I have written a chapter a week, so already I am severely up against it. It is going to be a challenge but I am determined. One of those chapters is basically written in note form and half of another one is as well, so I think with a bit of luck it is very doable. 25 days until Christmas, will update you soon.

Word count 99,400 Arrrrggh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment