Thursday, January 19, 2012

Book Review: The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye

For a while now I have been wanting to read a classic book. Every now and then I get the urge and pick one, usually I am disappointed. For example, Dracula although good in parts, I found to be rather boring overall and I am not a reader that craves action all of the time.

Whilst reading Stephen King's latest, "11/12/63". The Catcher in the Rye was mentioned numerous times by the protagonist. It was a book that I was obviously aware of and my interest was piquered.

unlike the other classics, the Catcher in the Rye did not disappoint. In fact, I really enjoyed it. There is no plot to speak of, the story if it can be called that, centres around a few days in the life of Holden. A guy already kicked out of three schools and has just been kicked out of the fourth.

Holden recounts the last few days of school and through this we learn his views on a world full of "phonies." The great thing about the Catcher in the Rye, is that despite it being written back in the early 50's, the language still feels fresh today.

Holden is a likeable character even taking into account his flaws. He has a strong sense of loyalty to his siblings but enjoys winding others up. He uses his height to get booze and although he claims to hate the movies, seems to spend an awful lot of time at them.

Throughout the novel, you are rooting for things to go his way. There are characters that wish the best for him but he continues to push them away, through constant lying or dogged determination to be a loner. His attitude, lands himself in all sorts of dangerous scenarios, that he manages to shake off and continue on his way to a destination he has no idea of.

The conclusion ends where Holden decides to stop telling the tale. This sums up his character perfectly and is in keeping with the rest of the book. My Rating: 8

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, every now and then I get the urge to read somthing by Dickens or Jane Austin ( probably mainly caused by something I have seen on the telly)due to this have just reread Tale of Two Cities, which I had forgotten how much I liked. Catcher in the Rye I think is sitting on my shelf at home- one of those books I have always meant to read but never got round to it, maybe now I will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never read a Tale of Two Cities. In regard to Dickens and Austin I haven't quite got passed the whole, "you will read these classics at school" bias yet. Now that I don't have to read them in order to write an essay, I really should

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should do, they can help with your own writing- Dickens is especialy good for examples of good characters descriptions

    ReplyDelete