Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year

The title says it all really.

I decided to do no writing over the festive period and so I return to the fold with three chapters still to write to complete my first draft. Today and tomorrow, I will spend taking stock of where I was before the break and then hopefully I will finish the book.

The good thing is, I already have several ideas about the next novel and recently thought of a good spin-off novel. I read a Patrick Rothfuss interview this morning (I recommend his blog by the way) and something he said really rang true with me. He was asked if there would be more books set in his fictional world beyond his planned trilogy. Pat replied,

"Absolutely. Growing up, I always hated it when an author created a world and characters for you to fall in love with, then walked away from it. My world is bigger than this single story. There are places on the map yet to be explored."

As much as I see myself venturing away from Frindoth, I agree with Pat 100%. There are so many stories I could write in that world and hopefully will do so.

There have been many blogs that have recapped 2009, as my blog is primarily about my writing I will not do that. Looking back, I can say that I am very pleased with the progress I have made. In terms of writing, I have nearly completed a first draft which is a major achievement for me, as well as drafting a short story and a flassh fiction piece which I am proud of. In personal terms, I have got married and become a Father. It just doesn't get any better than that.

My New Year's resolution is to get published. Whether it be in a magazine or a cream my pants dream scenario, get an agent. What are your resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment