Monday, June 23, 2014

Book Review - Dust (JS)

Dust by Hugh Howey (Wool Trilogy 3)


Review by Jacqui Slaney

I tried to resist reading this final instalment of this series as long as I could, having enjoyed the series, I found myself not wanting to finish it too quickly, but then I gave in.

This is the description:

In the aftermath of the uprising, the people of Silo 18 are coming to terms with a new order. Some embrace the change, others fear the unknown; none have control of their fate.
The Silo is still in danger. There are those set on its destruction.
Jules knows they must be stopped. The battle has been won .The war is just beginning.

I just admit I was doubtful before I started this story; I had enjoyed the other two books a lot, so was worried that this last of the series would be a let down.

Within a short time though, I was caught up in the book. I found myself even nearly missing my bus stop trying to reach the end of a chapter to see what would happen next.

Jules or Juliette (to give her full name) is now mayor of Silo 18, but she faces problems with the people who live there. She wants to return to Silo 17, where she left Solo and the others, and she has found a way to reach them with the machines that she has found. This however causes her to be viewed with suspicion by some, especially those who have lately found religion; they think her words heresy that there could be other places outside their homes. Her friends though still support her especially Lukas, though he worried that her actions could be problems to them all.

The action in this book moves nicely backwards and forwards between three silos, 17, 18 and of course Silo 1 where Donald is and his sister Charlotte, who are working together to try to save people, people that under the operating procedures of the PACT should be closed down.

I really enjoyed this story, I have seen reviews that say this book is a poor finish to the series and that the writer ran out of steam. Let me assure you that in my opinion this is no means the case, and if my writing ran out of steam like this one, I would be more than happy.

The characters are excellent, Jules as ever is a very strong female lead, but also in this story, you see more of her friends such as Shirly, Nelson and Courtnee. Solo or Jimmy is also developed more in this story and his relationship with the children who are growing up in silo 17, especially Elise. You find empathy for Donald as well, trying to make up for his mistakes from the past. There is plenty of action and the pace of the plot is kept at a good pace through out.

Here in this book, you finally see the whole story behind why the silos were build and the mad plan for the future that a few men had. You have seen the inkling through the others books, but it all comes together in this one in a very good finish, you also see the reasons for the stairs in all Silos, except Silo 1.

For those of you who do not like Sci-Fi books and think they are not for them, please do let that tag put you off this series. I am glad I read it and will definitely be looking out for more of this authors work.

10 out of 10





No comments:

Post a Comment