Friday, December 2, 2011

On Writing

So I guess a lot of you have been wondering what is happening on the writing front. I could come up with a list of reasons why I haven't been prolific on that front but I have decided to tell you how it is: At the end of September I was made semi-redundant. What the hell is that I hear you ask? Basically, I work for a massive organisation and when you are told that there is no longer a position for you, you are given 3 months to find another job within another department before they officially pull the trigger.

So for the last couple of weeks I have been scrambling around trying to get myself a job to pay the mortgage and keep a roof over our heads. Long story short, I have succeeded. The new job is demanding, very demanding, I barely have time for lunch and have to force myself to go home. The commute to London takes me an hour each way and when I get home I have two young kids quite rightly demanding my attention. It is all I can do to stay awake and give them the attention they deserve before I fall into bed.

Needless to say, finding time to write has been a challenge. But.....

Managed I have. Next to my building there is a quiet unimposing pub. Very Harry Potter-esque in that you would not know it existed unless you walked into it even though it is in plain sight. I happened upon the pub by chance. Inside is very dark, the beer is cheap and the floors are uneven. A fire burns smelling of chestnuts. If I force myself to take a lunch break, I get to sample the beer and write a couple of hundred words. It is not the 1,000 a day I churned out when I was working in book 1. But, I am getting there slowly and steadily.

Will keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck. I also have two kids so I can totally relate! Not enough hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete