Friday, September 13, 2013

Book Review: Fool Moon (JS)

Fool Moon: The Dresden Files Book Two by Jim Butcher


Having enjoyed Storm Front, I was looking forward to reading the next instalment as I had found the authors writing enjoyable. I have found that it is better not to go from one book of a series to the next so I fought the urge and read a few different books until all I had left on my Kindle was this one.

This is the description:

Meet Harry Dresden, Chicago's first (and only) Wizard P.I. Turns out the 'everyday' world is full of strange and magical things - and most of them do not play well with humans. That is where Harry comes in. Business has been slow lately for Harry Dresden. Okay, business has been dead. Not undead - just dead. You would think Chicago would have a little more action for the only professional wizard in the phone book. However, lately, Harry has not been able to dredge up any kind of work - magical or mundane. However, just when it looks like he cannot afford his next meal, a murder comes along that requires his particular brand of supernatural expertise. A brutally mutilated corpse. Strange-looking paw prints. A full moon. Take three guesses. And the first two do not count . . . Magic - it can get a guy killed.

I must admit that though I was looking forward to reading this book, I was slightly concerned that the idea behind the series might not work so well beyond the first book, although I had been told that the series got better as it went on. Within a few pages into the book, I knew that I need not have worried.

As in the first book, the story is from Harry’s point of view and as before he is desperately short of cases and so money is very tight. Even Murphy from the Police Departments Special Investigations is reluctant to involve him in cases due to the rumours revolving around him and his relationship with Chicago’s gangsters. However, when people start dying from what looks to be animal attacks during the full moon, Murphy turns to Harry for help.

This has a slightly darker feel than the first book and the writing is slightly tighter, I do not want to give away any spoilers but the descriptions of the various kinds of a certain supernatural creature (see I did not mention the W word) are well done and the murder scenes are very gory.

There is lots of action with police, FBI and a street gang all after Harry, and this is where my only complaint comes in about the book. Harry gets hurts quite frequently throughout the story and there is a repetition in the mention of amount of pain that he is suffering from and the trouble that this causes him in the use of his power.
Do not get me wrong though, this is an entertaining novel that made me wish my journey into work were actually longer so I could read more. There are many of the original characters in this story and the author develops the relationship between Murphy and Harry. There is also a sub plot that relates to Harry’s past. Did his parents die naturally or was there something behind their deaths? This is a theme, which obviously is going to go into the next instalment.

You could read this book without reading Storm Front, but for a better enjoyment, I recommend that you read them in the correct order, but definitely read them.

9 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment