Friday, March 22, 2013

Update - General

Good morning loyal readers,

It has been 11 days since I last posted an update / review on the blog which I think is the longest stretch in years. This is primarily because there has been an issue with the website and I have not been able to post anything. The break has also been needed for a plethora of reasons.

First and most importantly - I want to say get well soon to Jacqui. She is currently laid up in hospital with a very serious illness. I know she will not want me to go into specifics but she has already undergone several operations with more tough therapy to follow. She is being very brave (and still insisting she will send in reviews) but I am sure you will all join me in wishing her a speedy recovery.

Secondly - I too have been in hospital and had an operation on a lifelong issue with my right hand. Although this pales into insignicance next to what Jacqui is going through, but it has put my arm in a sling and meant typing has been a bitch (ctrl, alt and del has never been so hard).

Lastly - I have been a tad stressed lately. Work has been manic which I don't mind as we are coming to a crucial stage on the project we are delivering (long hours and no lunch breaks are a regular occurence). But what has happened is my manager who was a contractor has left the project and moved on to a new role. This has been a major downer as I admired and respected her so much. Her parting gift was to give me a massive dilemma and one I just don't know how to answer.

Currently I am in a relatively secure job within the public sector. I have worked there for 13 years and up until recently have been unfulfilled in the various roles I’ve had. This all changed when I began working on a project that was run mostly by contractors. The change of pace was remarkable and exciting. The manager I mentioned above has now asked me to come and join her and establish myself as a contractor.

I  my current role I am regarded as Senior Management and receive a fairly decent wage. I have a young family and a high mortgage. Whilst we are surviving on my wage each month, we are far from comfortable and like everyone have to watch the pennies. Having said that we are not really struggling either. My current job allows me lots of perks such as flexi time, seeing the family each day etc.

The wage the contractors are offering me is ludicrous compared to my current salary. 2.5 times more a year. However, being a contractor, there is neither the security nor longevity that the public sector offers me. It does however, provide an opportunity for me to see what I can actually do rather than plod along in the “safe job” I have now. It is a massive risk, especially when I consider the uncertainty over what comes after the contract runs out.

Another thing to consider is my how this will affect my real dream of being a writer. Becoming a contractor will mean I have even less time than I do now to write.

All this has been weighing on my mind on top of everything else. However, now the blog is back up and running, the reviews will start again on Monday. I have four already prepared so we are good to go for the time being.

As they say, normal service as now been resumed.


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete