Friday, August 28, 2009

Scott Lynch's: Republic of Thieves - Prologue

What has this post got to do with writing my novel I hear you ask? Well simple, these guys are the ones that inspired me to begin writing in the first place.

I have always been an avid reader. Mostly I read crime and thrillers but like most readers I have read and love the Lord of the Rings. Unlike most people I don't gush over the books, I found them hard to read and the pace very slow in places. Nevertheless, I love the world that Tolkein created. My first taste of the world was when my Nan told me to watch the cartoon adaption - anything other than her having to sit through Star Wars again. I loved it immediately and loved the Peter Jackson films that followed.

So long story short, I have always liked fantasy stories, but just never really read them. This all changed when I kept seeing praise for a little known book called A Game of Thrones. Intrigued, I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. Needless to say, I loved it and am now a huge fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series. Incidently, I've also read Fevre Dream and Dreamsongs by George R R Martin - both superb books.

Since reading A Game of Thrones, I have tried many books in the fantasy genre. Stand out authors for me are Joe Abercrombie and the title of my post Scott Lynch. I've read the first two books in the first law trilogy (I'm saving the third, don't ask me why, I like to draw series out - I'm weird like that) and I've read the first two books in the Gentlemen Bastard series. I find this series to be superb. It is so different from anything out there. The popular view that the books are like Ocean's Eleven set in the fantasy world are spot on.

Like Martin, there has also been a long wait forLynch's next book. I'm fine with waiting for books, when it's done it's done. Sure you want it to be released as soon possible, but there is so much out there to read that I don't feel the need to slate off the author for taking their time in writing the books that we love them for.

So getting round to the title of my post (I knew I would get there), after a long hiatus from the internet, Scott Lynch has become active again and has posted the prologue to his third book Republic of Thieves on his website. In the book we will meet the much mentioned Sabetha. He believes this will be published in 2010. I for one can't wait.

http://www.scottlynch.us/excerpts.html

1 comment:

  1. Found out myself the other day that the third book will be out soon.
    I too have enjoyed the books, though unlike u I would normally run through the whole series as soon as I can.
    I would also recommend the Brent Weeks books that I have come across, and also the Night Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko.

    My own writing is going well though I am certainly not as far a long as you.Have managed to flesh out the third of my main characters now, which I am well chuffed about.

    I look forward to seeing some previews of your novel soon.

    ReplyDelete